Monday, December 17, 2012

A Tribute to our Angels

 
 
 
As we reflect on the incident from Friday in CT. I would like to offer my prayers to all who
suffered tragedy. Our hearts go out to all of the families who are dealing with all of  the sadness.
 
twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA
 
 
I am asking for some help from my Facebook and Twitter family.  I want to create a memory quilt to memorialize those Angels that God has brought into his home sooner  than we were ready for them be be taken. I feel I am doing this because as a young child grew up in the area and remember playing just down the road from the school.
 
 
Why does it take such a horrible tragedy for people to start thinking about God and prayer? "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face ALWAYS" (Psalm 105:4)
 
 
 
I am looking for twenty-six 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 unfinished blocks to construct a quilt. I would like to have these blocks consist of an Angel, and an area on the Angel where I can write the first name of each of the people lost with there age.  Attached to the block I will add a sashing and then sandwich the quilt. These blocks can be either applique' or created in a way you best feel you would represent an Angel.  If I receive more than the twenty-six I will construct small wall hangings for the classrooms. Quilting will be delicate and simple with a stitching around the Angel and stitching in the ditch. I know as we are so very busy due to the holidays, could we as a quilt & sewing community ban together to create one block each and send them to me. I am looking only for twenty-six blocks, and I will provide those interested with a shipping address so that I can create this quilt as a joint act of kindness. I would like to have this done by months end so that it can be presented to the school by the beginning of January.  I will be presenting this quilt as part of a team I volunteer with through local police & fire departments. I have backing and batting that I am donating and I too will construct a block. Please email me through here or find me on facebook or twitter if you are able to help me out... I will be giving credit to those who are able to contribute to this project on the label that is placed on the back of this quilt. I will take a photo of the finished quilt front and back post here on my blog, facebook, twitter and Instagram for those wishing to see the finished work of art. 
 


2 comments:

rebecca said...

sally, I will be happy to make one.

Tiffiny Quilts said...

Sally, I am working on 1 or 2 now. Deciding on applique or paper piecing or a mixture of both. I think it is wonderful that you started this tribute quilt. Hugs for you. :-)